Monday, July 13, 2009

Novel Reading

After our discussion about Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey in class, and watching the movie, I have mixed feelings about novel reading. On one hand, I think it is healthy for the mind to feed your imagination with the contents of some novels, while on the other hand, I think using your imagination too much can get you in trouble (as it did Catherine). I do see value in reading novels. Novels can provide lots of information and point of views that other forms of literature do not provide. In one week alone, I have learned new things and now I find myself being interested in Gothic novels. Novels teach us much about society mainly because it's characters and situations are that of actual people. When reading novels most can find similarities in these characters and situations, which makes them seem close to that character. This allows you to learn from that character.

No comments:

Post a Comment